Friday, October 29, 2010

The beauty of this blog is that I can post for free what I would have to pay to publish...

Today my story sits undisturbed on my computer. I still get the bulk emails from my pseudo agent, and I think that is probably the central part of her work, bulk emailing her clients and trying to get them to pay to publish, rather that shopping the actual story to real publishers. I could be completely wrong, but that is my hunch.

So I am going to start serially posting my story. That's the beauty of a blog, I can get the book out there at no cost to myself - a $5000 savings.

I would appreciate any help, edits, critiques that would make the book better (but I won't pay for them).

So I hope you enjoy my story a little, but if you don't remember: it's free for both of us.

Quin


Quin Holsten spent the first eighteen years of his life in Appendix having faith that his life was charmed. He left for eighteen years only to discover that his life was not charmed. After eighteen years of less than charmed living he returned to Appendix running from disappointment and pain. 

It was no wonder that Quin had thought his life was charmed for those first eighteen years. He had been blessed with a number of attributes that usually add up to happiness.

First, he had very natural good looks, complete with a strong jaw, high cheek bones, deep blue eyes and almost perfect dark brown hair. His hair was perfect except for one very stubborn colic at the back of his head. The colic refused to lay down no matter the amount of product applied to it. This colic even when he was older gave him something a boyish carefree look, even though as he aged he was anything but.

Second, he was extremely bright. Studies were exceptionally easy for him. He studied very little yet maintained an A minus average and always told himself that he could have a four point if he wanted it.  

Third, he was a natural athlete. He did well in all sports, but especially baseball, because as he was often told, he had a golden arm.

Finally he was mostly amiable. For eighteen years he did what he could to make the people around him feel good, and in return he felt good himself.

Because of these natural charms, girls very early and often threw themselves at him. While he had appreciated their efforts, he had never truly reciprocated any of their efforts or feelings, because he saw no hurry, and there seemed to be an ever ready supply. Yes, life was very good to Quin in Appendix through his first eighteen years.

He left Appendix as a conquering hero bound for Stanford on a full ride baseball scholarship.  During his senior year he had led the Fighting Carnies of Appendix to their first and to date only state championship in any sport. He left assuming that he would one day be a pro baseball player, but he told everybody that he was going to college for the education. He told everybody he was going for the education, because he did not want to seem like just a dumb jock, especially since he was not. Also people loved hearing that he was really going for the education, and it was irresistible to Quin to tell people the exact thing that they wanted to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment